Sunday, June 20, 2010

Soooooooo soon

In exactly one week, I'll be running (errr...shuffling) down the Ironman Coeur D'Alene run course fighting the urge to quit and thinking back on all my training and the countless hours I've spent preparing for this race.  I know it won't be pretty, but this is exactly why I signed up for an Ironman. 

I want to push myself.  I want to push myself to the farthest edge possible and see just how strong I really am.  I welcome the pain, the suffering, the I-want-to-lie-down-and-die feeling.  This is what I've been dreaming of and in seven days, while I know I won't be thinking it at the time, there will be nowhere else I will rather be than going through hell at my first Ironman.  The only bad part about that is that I give myself a 50/50 chance of making it out of Ironman hell in one piece. Fortunately, I'm great at guessing coin flips so I like my odds here. 

Don't worry, I'm fairly confident I can finish this.  My training was hard enough that my legs are ready for the journey.  But when it comes to those x-factors - nutrition and mental toughness - I can't really say whether I'll be strolling in around my ideal goal time or dragging myself across the line after a brutal 5+ hour marathon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment