Wednesday, June 9, 2010

18 Days

The fact that this race is so close finally hit me this past weekend when I visited the bike shop to pick up a few last minute essentials – new tri shorts, aero bottle, a few extra Powerbar gels. While checking out, they pulled up my information and asked me about renting wheels for the race. Ohhh sh@#. I reserved a set of race wheels over a month ago but hadn’t thought about the specific timing until they told me that I would need to bring my bike in on June 16th to get setup. After a quick calculation, I deduced (yea, I know I’m pretty smart) that June 16th was only 10 days away. OK, now it’s time to get serious.

No more daydreaming, no more procrastinating. This race is creeping up on me faster than expected (a welcome speed). So in order to keep my mind at peace, I’ve started making lists, lots and lots of lists. Packing lists, ideal race time and goals, nutrition and calorie intake lists, pre-race schedules. Basically anything that I can think about and plan, I’m writing it down. I may not be the best racer out there, but I’ll definitely be the most (logistically) prepared.

For those of you who actually read this blog (hi Mom and Dad) and plan to follow my race times, I’m going to jinx myself now and write down some of my race goals. In full disclosure, these are going to be right in the middle of my conservative expectations. I’m way too competitive and secretive to release my actual “ideal” race goals but this is a quick breakdowns of where I hope to be and when. If you follow me on race day and I’m behind these times, then start worrying because something is going wrong, very very wrong. So without further ado, here’s my swim plan:

Enter water – 7:00am
Exit first swim loop – 7:38am
Smile to Parents, Take Sip of Water – 7:38am
Enter second swim loop – 7:39am
Finish swim – 8:16am

3 comments:

  1. you forgot devoted sister who checks your blog almost everyday... and who lets you know that you your time for finishing the second swim lap seems to be a little off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your ex-roommate, who reads all you entries over and over since you left because he misses you like the flower misses the sun....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out to your Dad, who follows the blog and makes comments ... I'm not the math guy but glad that Alyson can pay attention ... like Donnie, I miss you too ... BUT can't wait to be with you in Idaho (and provide the right post race nutrition). Cannot wait for the big day! Send me a list of what you need (want?) to eat after the race!

    ReplyDelete