Sunday, January 31, 2010

Cloud Snapple Half Marathon

WARNING::: Long Post (oops, sorry)

As promised, I raced in a half marathon on this weekend. The idea came to me when a fellow DC triathlete posted information about the event and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to test my improved run pace. There was only one problem -- the race was sold out.

I had to get into this race though; the idea was already in my head. So I emailed, posted, and begged everyone I could until I found a very generous runner (thanks Emily) who wasn’t using her bib. Problem solved, I was in.

Fast forward to Saturday morning. I wanted to get some quality sleep but instead a later-than-intended night “out” with some great college friends eliminated that option. I wasn’t complaining though. When good company and Salvadoran food are in the mix, I can’t be expected to do the right thing.

I dragged my tired body out of bed at 6:30 (OK fine, more like 7:00 after I hit the snooze a few times) and immediately pounded half a Gatorade and Cliff Bar. Not the most ideal breakfast, but I’m testing out some new pre-race nutrition tactics to see which one I don’t hate the most. If only three bowls of Lucky Charms was a healthy option.

The weather report called for a cold race with a chance of snow (depending on how fast I ran) so I layered up and set out for the race site. The usual butterflies were staying away, partially because it was so freakin cold and also because this was more of a training race for me. I had a goal time and an ideal time but I wasn’t going to complain as long as I ran sub-8:00 minute miles.

Enter race site, park car, visit bathroom, jog to the start line, ohhh &#$! I guess I should have read more about the race. This was a trail race on a lot of gravel. Maybe for some people that isn’t a big deal, but I spend all my time training on roads that, while worse for my knees, are much easier to bounce off of. I had no experience with trail running and was clueless when it came to the difference.

Fortunately the time waiting at the start line was short and before I knew it I was out on the course. Within the first five minutes, I settled into a decent pace with two older guys that were trying to push 7:25 miles. It was clear that one of the guys was pulling the two of us and he seemed fine with playing that role. Of course I wasn’t complaining and just held stride with them. My legs were feeling strong and I was actually surprised I could hold this pace.

…famous last words

Around the halfway point (48:06 split) the snow started lightly falling onto the course. No big deal – a few light flurries and not much accumulation. Twenty minutes later though and it’s goodbye light flurries, hello snow storm. By mile 9, the snow was already approaching an inch on the course and I could feel I was in for a battle. My left foot was in pain from digging into the gravel and snow and my lungs weren’t happy with my decision to hold this 7:25 pace. I tried to push through it a couple times but the pain got the best of me and I slowed my pace significantly. Miles 10 and 11 were a disaster. I was dealing with spurts of unknown pain in my left arch and I had no clue how fast I could push it. Somehow I managed to make it to that two-miles-left aid station and the pain went away. I got back in stride and passed a couple people that went by me around mile 10. Ahhhhh, sweet sweet finish line. I love when you turn a corner and instead of seeing more trail, you see those beautiful blue mats and orange cones.

Once I crossed that line, I darted straight for the water and food tent. After wiping ice off my eyebrows and clothes, I chowed down on some half-frozen pizza and endless amounts of candy and fruit snacks. Then it was into my warm car to bring movement back to my fingers.

The rest of the day was a blur. Rock climbing didn’t happen because of a certain lazy, unnamed coworker of mine but that allowed me to prop my legs on a couch for the rest of the morning and afternoon. I watched hours upon hours of college basketball (why do you do it to me every time, BC?!?!) and ate plenty of junk food.

All in all, I was happy with the day. It wasn’t until later that I did the math and figured out that I ran a 7:37 pace with a finish time of 1:39:47.  Solid given the weather and my extreme inexperience with trail running. Note to self, read about the race beforehand.

Before (Warm) And After (Can't Move my Limbs)


Warm and Cozy After the Race

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! I can't even imagine racing in a snow storm! I whine about having to start a race in the high 30/low 40-degree range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post man, sounds like the race was a success overall. You should make another note though: don't get your hopes up for BC basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the race ... it was great hearing about it but gotta love the post even more, and the pics ... that last one is a classic (though BC hoops isn't) ... see you in GSO soon enough!

    ReplyDelete