Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Barcelona

Another quick post for you here...

Today was quite interesting.  After arriving late late late last night via bus from Madrid, I was greeted in Barcelona with a downpour.  What happened to that whole thing about Spanish summers being nice?  No worries though, I found the nearest hostel and tossed my stuff down to go exploring.  The only problem with that was I had no map and I was relying on bus route markers to guide me. Turns out I walked around the unpopular parts of town because all the restaurants were closed by midnight.  Fortunately I found one still serving a few tapas and ate a ton of patatas bravas and the pimientos padron again (love those peppers).

Now, for the bad news. Just like the last post, you get no pictures.  Although this time I have a reason beyond just laziness.  Thanks to the first hostel I chose (I swear it was rated highly), I no longer have my phone (aka camera). I blame the stupid French guys.  Oh well, I will give them props for having the balls to pull it from the socket right next to the place I slept.  I hope my phone has a nice new home now.  And dont worry Mom and Dad, I already took care of it with Verizon and the insurance company.  Ill have a new phone as soon as I land in DC.  Gotta love an excuse to buy the latest version.  Muahahaha

Moving on, Barcelona is great.  I found a new hostel that is smaller, quieter, and has less high school aged dudes. I spent most of the day walking around the ENTIRE city.  So in addition to my smelly feet and awesome farmers tan, I got to see pretty much every important site in the city as well as some other cool things as I explored.  Yes, this time I had a map. 

Highlights...
-the children playing pickup soccer with a water bottle outside Estadio Olympic
-barely understanding a word of Catalan right as I was starting to think in Spanish
-walking up the Montjuic and seeing the dozens upon dozens of runners and cyclists tackling the massive hill. 

Which brings me to the last point, you know where I will be tomorrow morning.  Right alongside those Barcelona triathletes. Yesssss

2 comments:

  1. Dudddddddde, wicked bummer about the phone/camera. I'll keep calling to see if they pick up haha. Dude, be sure to check out that Sagrada Familia, and Park Guell. And I'm still expecting updates on twitter and this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So ... you mean you'll have NO pictures from this trip? Like none at all? Buy a camera, even a cheap one. Can't come back empty-handed on that front. Sorry for that experience, but like your attitude. Just don't lose your passport! We want you back ... love you and wish you the best from here on out. No more losses is my prayer ... chau.

    ReplyDelete