Sunday, June 19, 2011

Latin America Winding Down


Well my time here in Latin America is almost coming to a close. I’ll have a reflection post in the next few days, along with the past-due final Spain post. But for now, here’s a quick recap of the last few days and some pictures to go along with it.

After my rest day on Thursday afternoon, I got to meet more of my sister’s students and talk to them about random things. I’m telling you, I really work well with the under 18 and 80+ demographic here. Following that, of course my sister and I had to scarf our faces with empanadas. Although nothing compares to the place in San Juan called, oddly enough, Empanadas.



Friday was more hanging out at the University, lunch with my favorite Argentine family, and shopping for a few goodies to bring back.

My last night in San Juan included tons of beef (that I was supposed to cut with a butter knife), goodbyes and photos with the family, and a little vino to boot.







As for my trip leaving Argentina, that’s where things went awry. The mountain pass was closed in the Andes because of the massive snow storm. I had to fork over a few hundred bucks extra to flight out instead. And I lost my book that I was really diving into. So needless to say my final day out of Argentina was a mess.


(leaving the desert and excited to bus through the Andes and send amazing photos... oh wait)

But fortunately I am now safe and sound in Santiago and already falling in love with the place. Last night we went to what could possibly be my favorite small bar in the world and today I accompanied my friend to his soccer game that was set in the foothills of the snowcapped Andes. Yea, this is the life…


(live music, small group of friends in a small bar, all Chileans who speak amazing English, and of course pisco)


(sadly you can only see one of the dozen peaks because of the snow storm in the background)

No comments:

Post a Comment