Monday, June 13, 2011

Argentina

So I lied, the final Spain post will have to wait. I want to make sure I post the picture with it so that´s TBD. No worries though, I´ve got plenty from South America to report.

After spending an odd, crazy, sleepless 12 hours in the US between my international flights, I arrived in Chile tired and cold. Fortunately, because traveling in South America isn´t as seamless as Europe, I had plenty of time to wait and catch some Zzzzz´s.

Saturday morning was my first taste of my sister´s life. I took a 7 hour bus ride from Santiago to Mendoza, Argentina through the Andes Mountains. On the one hand, it was the most picturesque ride of my life but on the other hand I felt like I was going to die at any moment. Weaving through the icy mountains roads of the Andes while I´m sitting in the front seat of a double decker bus was not exactly the greatest idea for someone who is afraid of heights. Nevertheless, I loved the views and just wish I could have jumped out with a backpack and crampons to climb every mountain we saw.

Upon arriving in Mendoza, I met up with my sister and got my first real taste of Argentine life. Let´s just say it is extremely different from the tourism heavy Europe. We walked around a lot, ate more meat than I wanted (…made me realize why I became a vegetarian), enjoyed wine, chocolate, olives, and plenty of empanadas. You´ll see that there´s a theme to this trip – em.pa.na.das.

After 24 hours in Mendoza, we boarded a bus and headed for San Juan. It´s not glamorous, but any city that sits among dozens of gorgeous mountains is fine with me. I like to call it the Greensboro of Argentina. Not a lot to do but plenty of charm. Not to mention the weather is just like fall so every day reminds me of Thanksgiving in the US.

Since arriving in San Juan we have had quite a busy schedule. Within two hours we were headed for a club on Saturday night. The best way to describe the club is a perfect..err…gross blend of lasers, disco balls, remixed American music, extremely tall drinks, and the loudest speakers I´ve ever stood next to. So naturally, I was right at home. Fast forward a few hours and I´m dead tired from dancing only to find out it´s nearing 6am. Ugh, this Latin-Spanish party thing is nuts.

Fortunately, we were able to sleep in the next day and I woke up just in time for lunch. We went over to the house of the first family that my sister lived with when she moved to Argentina. Chicken, potatoes, tomatoes, vino, and great company. It was a perfect Sunday afternoon in a city that takes their relaxing Sunday afternoons seriously. Literally no one is on the streets and the only noise you hear is coming from families laughing or chatting over an extended lunch. Now this is something they do just right.


(Skyping with the parents)

Moving on to Monday, lo and behold, it´s an Argentine holiday! Well, a San Juan holiday at least. I´m told they have countless holidays per month which makes for a wonderful vacation schedule. So today we got up and traveled to the city center to check out the parade and see what else the bustling San Juan downtown has to offer. Long story short, not much. We watched the little children preparing to march, visited the main attraction to overlook the city, and…well… that was it.





But the best part of the day came right after. My sister is very close with an ex-professor (who is extremely young & intelligent) and her family, so they took me in like I was one of them. Even after eating empanadas together the night before, they rearranged their schedule to have us over again but this time for a real Argentine Asado, which basically translates into an extended lunch with more meat than you can handle. It was pure heaven.



Then, of course, because this family is so nice, they drove us out to the mountains and the lake to check out the natural side of San Juan.






(Standing where there used to be water two years ago, so sad but still a wonderful view)


(The nicest family in Argentina)

No comments:

Post a Comment