Monday, March 21, 2011

100 Miles Until DC United

Today = Sneezing + Coughing + Sniffling + Dead Tired. All the result of a long, fun weekend here in DC.

It all started on Friday when the weather was supposed to hit 75 degrees. Work had been fairly hectic most of the week but as 3:00 rolled around, I had wrapped up most of my tasks and the staff was getting rowdy around the TV thanks to the drama of March Madness. After yelling nonsense about a couple games, a few staffers took off for the Waterfront to enjoy the last few hours of sunlight. For those not from DC, the Waterfront is the go-to yuppie spot when spring time rolls around. And of course, $2 Coronas with a view is enough to get me anywhere.


Initially, I only intended to have a few of these guys and get to bed early for my planned 100 miler on Saturday, but I’m terrible with peer pressure and 2-3 beers turned into… well… more than 2 or 3. Not good news for that whole long ride thing.

Before I knew it, it was Saturday morning and I was up early. After 30 minutes of questioning and an hour of convincing, I was out the door with minimal supplies and a new cycling route to try out. Originally, I was supposed to start with the DC Tri crew and continue farther once they turned around at mile 25 but my late start meant I was riding solo and on a time crunch. I was headed for Sugarloaf Mountain – a baby mountain in DC that provided plenty of elevation. Honestly, within 30 miles I was already cursing this foolish idea. I wasn’t training for anything this long and a ride with a nonstop headwind was not how I wanted to spend my Saturday. But thanks to a little Powerbar gel (with caffeine), I sucked it up and handled my business. I got lost. I made a new route. I passed gorgeous farms. And I bonked like crazy.


This is what happens when I’m not in IM training and I just do things without planning. I didn’t pack enough food to last me the whole ride and sugar became my enemy during the final hour. The only thing that got me through it was my schedule. I needed to get home for….



DC United!!! Saturday night was the home opener and I was heading to the game with a few Boston College alums in honor of Charlie Davies’ first game back. Our seats were insane (9 rows up behind the bench) and Charlie gave us a little shout out when he was our BC shirts. DC United started this season off right with a big win and Charlie scored two goals in his comeback.

Sunday was another busy day from the get-go. Brunch in the morning, matinee movie (Limitless, which I enjoyed), National Gallery of Art (they rearranged their galleries, not cool), then back home. Once I was home, I knew I was in trouble because after 6 miles of walking and my poor planning on Saturday, my immune system was shutting down fast. I spent the rest of the day watching basketball and popping Vitamin C tablets.

Which brings me to today – I’m sick. Not a fun feeling at all but it was worth it because of the highlights from the weekend:

Century ride with 4500 ft. of climbing
DC United (seemingly) returning to MLS glory
Walking around DC in shorts
Crappy beer with good company



No comments:

Post a Comment