Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Short Break from Running

For once in my brief training life, I did something smart. That’s right, kudos to me. This past weekend, I was planning on tackling a quick little duathlon to wet my palette for the upcoming tri season. Instead, I decided it would be too much of a risk to put in a couple fast 5Ks so I sucked it up and opted out.

Rewind two weeks. I was back to running and feeling healthy after attempting to nurse my 2010 aches and pains back to 100%. After 6 weeks of no road work, I stepped back outside and slowly picked up my training. 4 miles here, 6 miles there, 9 miles one time, and a couple speed days. No big deal. Then I tried to go out and put in 14 and that’s where things went wrong. Honestly, I have no clue how or why but for some reason my foot felt like a bunch of tiny little bones were cracked all over. Putting pressure on it hurt and walking to bars that night felt terrible.

So now, after a couple weeks in the pool and on the bike, I’m trying to do the right thing and let myself heal. This might mean I have to cancel a couple of secret road races I had planned but I’m going to try this patience thing out and see if it sticks. If not, oh well. It was a solid effort.

But seriously, I’m enjoying my time back in the pool and on the saddle. For now…

No comments:

Post a Comment