Monday, March 7, 2011

Long Rides and Stolen Rides

So this weekend was a fairly eventful, uneventful weekend. After two days of working at home (did I mention I absolutely despise working from home) because we are moving offices, I woke up Saturday morning well-rested and with no plans. Naturally, I decided that I had two options – lie in bed for another hour and think about all the things I could be doing, or get outside and go for a bike ride. Surprisingly, Option #2 won.

I threw on some gear, packed my bike for a longer ride, and wandered around the apartment a bit thinking I forgot to pack something. Then, baby bro informed me that my road/commuter bike was gone. Assuming I just forgot it somewhere or he was confused, I dismissed the thought but double checked just to make sure. Nope, he was right – gone. This was weird. Yes, I probably should have expected this to happen at some point because I’m way too trustworthy/lazy when it comes to this particular bike, but I keep it out of sight from the street so it would take a clever or familiar thief to get his or her hands on it.

To paint a picture – we have a basement apartment with a little cove before entering. You can’t see the bike from the sidewalk so unless you’re trying to break into the apartment, you would have no reason to be down there if you didn’t already know a bike was around the corner.

Anyway, long story short, my bike is gone and I’m just annoyed because now it’s more of a hassle to make those quick trips to friends’ houses and random museums. Fear not though. There are two conveniently placed Craigslist ads that (actually) could be my bike. I’ll keep you all posted on whether they turn out to be the thieves.




Back to the ride. After I realized my bike was stolen and noticed the first of the two shady Craiglist ads, I knew I needed to get out and put in some serious work to forget about the news. So I headed straight for the 75 mile ride I used to do for Ironman training. Here are a few images to give you an idea of what I was blessed to look at for a few hours. Farms, orchards, vineyards, and more farms….all in the winter.







When I got home, I spent a little time sleuthing on the computer and then darted straight for the grocery store. I wish I could tell you I made some lovely sweet potato, spinach, and [insert another healthy item] meal but let’s be real, that’s crazy talk. Of course I went straight for my favorite junk items. Coke, check. Pizza, check. Cookies, check. Beer, check. All four of my food groups, check.

No comments:

Post a Comment