Friday, March 4, 2011

Overtrained...oh wait...that's not it

Over the past couple weeks, I’ve read a few too many blogs about the idea of a coach. Blogs about the importance of a coach. Blogs about self-coaching. Blogs about training smart and knowing your plan.

Rewind one year. I was religiously following the Ironman training plan and filled in my schedule with all the required sessions. Granted, I moved things around more often than most but I still made sure I hit everything I needed to. And it worked. Thanks to my mix of self-coaching and mildly smart training, I enjoyed a successful first IM in Idaho.

But now, one year later, I’ve come a very long way from that method. Last week I did a 13 mile run, a 10 mile run, a short speed workout, one trainer session with my bike, and one very short swim workout because I just got bored. And until a couple hours before those workouts, I had no clue what I would do. So what’s the point?

I train poorly, and it works for me. I love those long days outside hitting it hard but I also love skipping workouts whenever I want to. It suits me. Because let’s be honest, everyone knows I’m the worst planner in the world and I would lose my mind if I always had my nights/mornings/days planned out for me.

Ultimately, I’ll get it done or just suffer tremendously when I slack off. It’s an exciting prospect, right?! But hey, I can guarantee that it’ll always be fun and interesting.



1 comment:

  1. Did I hear that training also included a lost or stolen bike? If true, that is unfair and way unfortunate. Hopefully whatever training you can do will be more than sufficient!

    ReplyDelete