Monday, October 18, 2010

Update... Almost There

Here we go, five days down and less than two weeks to go. Thank the lord!! I’m SO ready to take a true break and figure out all the little problems with my body. But more importantly, I’m ready to take a true break so I can plan out my first full racing season and set my priorities for 2011.

Until then, it’s time to focus. Here’s a quick report of my progress so that you can hold me accountable for my training:

October 13 – 5 mile (5): legs felt fine, minor hip problems, lungs were rusty because of day off, felt I could go a bit faster

October 14 – 10 mile (3): legs were great, lungs/heart rate were just above normal, surprised by sub 7 pace at beginning, felt I could hold that pace for marathon, big confidence boost, hip hurts like hell after, taking day off to help hip and give my left calf strain another day off

October 15 – 5 mile (2): FULL RECOVERY DAY

October 16 – 13 mile (2) + 2 mile swim: scrapped the swim because my body needed rest after Friday night, late night run, boring miles but good to be out there, tough motivation day

October 17 – 6 mile FAST (4) + soccer game + optional 40 mile bike ride: legs weren’t tired or bruised at all after soccer, run turned into an interval run because of stoplights, bike ride became a quick 10 mile ride and 1 mile swim in a coooooold pool

For those interested, I’ll be switching around a couple of these runs to align closely with what my body is telling me. After my three long(ish) runs, I realized I shouldn’t be too concerned with my distance. If my legs aren’t strong enough by now, it’s too late anyway. So I’m cutting a couple of the 10 mile runs and turning them into faster 6 mile runs. Hopefully this pays off.

Right now, I put my odds at qualifying for Boston at 40 percent. Let’s hope that number goes up after this week.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to catching up with you sometime this weekend ... good that you are listening to your body ... push but not to the point of injury, so that you actually HAVE a 2011 racing season. Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete