Friday, October 22, 2010

One Week: Let's Get this Over With

Almost one week away and I’d say I’m right where I expected to be in terms of confidence. My hip is still a pretty significant obstacle in this taper but it’s mostly been a balancing act of giving my hip and calf (minor pull/strain/bruise/who knows) enough recovery time between runs but still keeping my anaerobic capacity up so that I’m ready to push it on race day. Like I said earlier, my leg strength is either there or it isn’t but that’s something I won’t find out until mile 18/19 of the marathon.

October 18 – 8 mile (4): hip was throbbing at start, settled down mid run, no pain from mile 2 to 8, moderate discomfort at night

October 19 – SLACKER DAY: it’s ok, it was for because of an engagement party for two other Marine Corp Marathon runners

October 20 – 5 mile (2): slow pace, didn’t want to push my hip/calf, just needed to get outside

October 21 – 5 mile (5): fastest run in long time, tempo pacing, 4 min. on, 2 min. off, hip hurt after but lungs felt amazing

New and Improved Countdown Plan:

October 22 – 3 mile (5)
October 23 – 10 mile (3)
October 24 – soccer game + one hour cross train bike/swim + REST
October 25 – 5 mile (4)
October 26 – REST
October 27 – 5 mile (4)
October 28 – 5 mile (5)
October 29 – REST
October 30 – 1 mile (6:00 min pace)
October 31 – RACE DAY

No comments:

Post a Comment