Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Four Days: Nervous

This will probably be my last post before the race and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t happy about it. It’s been a long and trying few months after Ironman. From amateur mistakes in recovery causing stupid injuries to inconsistent training and motivation, the past four months has been a long list of lessons learned.

Looking back, I can’t help but think - what if I had done everything right. Odds are I would be a little more confident about hitting this Boston qualifying goal. And odds are, I’d be a lot happier because I wouldn’t have any lingering aches going into Sunday. But in the end, I needed the past four months to collect some firsthand data of what not to do when training and racing. Granted, I could have just listened to all the veterans that have published countless articles on thesethings but that’s just not my style. I’m stubborn, I’m foolishly ambitious, and I make no apologies for it.

I’d say my chances are 50/50 right now for hitting this qualifying goal for those of you betting on it. But for those of you betting on how many beers I’ll be drinking after the race, I can say with 100% certainty that there will be at least 3 Dogfish Heads in my belly by 1:30 (can’t miss the second half of my 11:00 soccer game).

The offseason is just four days away. And yes, this time I will make sure it’s a true offseason.

No comments:

Post a Comment