Sunday, May 16, 2010

Mental Toughness

It was a long but fun weekend and I’m happy to say my longest run before Ironman is behind me. If you read the post below, you know that I had some unfinished business with my long run after last week’s blowup.

I needed to clock one long, slow run before my taper and based on my schedule, this was the last weekend to do it. Of course, Friday night is always my choice-time to run because it sets up a lazy weekend but unfortunately the weather wasn’t cooperating. So through pouring rain, nonstop thunder and lightning, and warm wind, I stumbled my way through 22 humbling miles.

As always with the long training days, I learned a few new tips that will help me get through my Ironman, but I also learned that my biggest battle on race day will be with my mind. After five months of muscle building and punishment, I’m confident I can get through the race, but I’m not so confident I’ll end it in good shape.

June 27th won’t have anything to do with my leg strength or my nutrition. It’s all going to come down to my mental toughness… or weakness. Here’s to hoping it’s the former.

1 comment:

  1. You are strong, daring, superhuman and a winner. Your mind is one of your strengths ... I've seen that first-hand and I know you will be successful in keeping the demons at bay. God is giving you an opportunity to see His work in a whole new way, in Idaho ... what a thrill it will be to race AND watch the beauty of the world surround you. It will lift you to be a part of it, of that I am sure. YOU are the Ironman!

    ReplyDelete