Sunday, February 14, 2010

Finding Your Love

I sat down with the idea that I would write an honest, blunt post about Valentine’s Day and my spin on the love of my life – training. But when it came to putting pen to paper, I realized this is just not my thing. I don’t do public sappiness and I definitely don’t do emo. That’s why I have so many great friends that can make up for my cold-heartedness tenfold.

I’ll be the first to admit it - having a significant other to share life with is by far the greatest feeling. That may come as a surprise to hear for those who know me well but even I can’t deny it.

With that said though, I only have one love in my life and it’s a pretty selfish one. Whether it’s training for the Ironman or finding a new passion in rock climbing, I love the independence and ability to set new goals and go after them whenever I want. Call it runner’s high or chalk it up to the endorphins from being outside and challenging myself but whatever it is, it’s quickly becoming my significant other. Each and every week, I find myself falling more and more in love with this freedom and reaching for a happiness that rivals that of a relationship.

I know I’m expected to knock love and relationships but after attending one of my best friend’s wedding and seeing such a perfect couple, I find myself sitting in between the two worlds. I recognize how amazing the love of someone is but for the foreseeable future (or even ever at all), that’s not my cup of tea.

I’ve found something else that everyone should strive for at some point in their lives. Set goals, get outside, and pump as many endorphins into your body as possible. Watch crazy sports videos and picture yourself doing each of those, then live independently and see how far you can go. Pick the one thing you never thought you would do and challenge yourself.

I can’t promise it will feel as good as a relationship but it’ll be pretty damn close.

2 comments:

  1. That post seemed pretty sappy to me ;)

    And I completely agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up with raining on the heart parade? OK, so you're loving your bike and your sneakers and your mighty endorphins ... but think about us non-competitors who can't love all that activity. Bad knees, bad eyes and the like. We're left with the loving relationship so gotta go with it. May you find both out there on the trails.

    ReplyDelete