Thursday, February 11, 2010

Blizzards and Cabin Fever

First, I must apologize for the lack of posts recently. You would think that because I’ve been snowed in I would be able to write more. On the contrary. The past five days have been a combination of insanity, cabin fever, weak attempts at training, and just plain weirdness.

Time spent training – 5 hours
Time spent shoveling snow – 4 hours


Originally, I was excited for this week. I love snow and being from North Carolina has made me enjoy the idea of massive accumulation. What’s that? Another foot on top of two feet from a couple days ago? Yes, please! Or so I thought…

The first two snow days were great. It was the weekend and I got in a long run and a strong bike ride. And even when I wasn’t training, I was walking around taking pictures or trekking downtown for a night out. The snow wasn’t going to hold me back.

Then came the weekdays. I’m all for working from home and I enjoy conference calls in a t-shirt and sweats as much as the next person, but I started to lose it after the first day. By midday on Tuesday I needed to get out. I was basically sitting on a couch, staring at a laptop and listening to conference calls for ten hours a day. I had no motivation to move and no desire to be active. Unless it was to respond to client emails and calls or change the channel to yet another episode of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, I didn’t lift a finger. Simply put, I hit rock bottom of laziness.

Fortunately though, it’s Thursday and the snow recovery has begun. My lunch break was spent shoveling the alley with my neighbors and I’m almost caught up on all my work projects. Hell, I might even make it to the pool tonight before I pick up my college roommate from the airport.

So while five days of blinding snow, seven-foot drifts and unending hours on a couch may have bested me, I’ll be back on the grind this weekend. What better way to beat extreme laziness than a refreshing four-day weekend back home in North Carolina to see my family and watch my best friend from home get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment