Saturday, September 4, 2010

Greensboro

Talk about a recharge. In 2010, the only times I’ve been away from DC and the ever-exciting Mid-Atlantic were the trip home for Valentine’s Day with the family and the Ironman in Idaho. Compare that with 2009 - about a half dozen trips to North Carolina, a couple treks up to Boston, and a few fun-filled weekends in Seattle and Chicago – and I’m overdue for a few days away from the District. Thus, I decided to cure my homesickness and head south for the weekend to spend some quality time with my parents.

Don’t worry though, I was still able to brave the deadly heat here and fit some training/suffering into my schedule. On Friday morning, I planned a nice long run that would take me on a journey through my childhood. I visited my grade school, high school, rival high school, and a few different spots where I played soccer. The idea of the run was a great one. The execution on the other hand was not so much. Who knew it was possible to get lost in your own hometown? Sadly, my quick 19 mile jog turned into a run-walk around mile 12 when I got lost around the god-forsaken neighborhoods of my stupid rival high school. I probably should have ran those miles until I found the right way but I was just so frustrated and was in no mood to run.  Plus, my asthma was kicking in and I wasn't feeling too hot with regards to my breathing (see video below). In the end, I finally found my way by using the expressway (at the time, I valued convenience over danger) that connects the different parts of the city and made my way home in time to take a quick ice bath before visiting my Mom’s fourth grade class.

So from there, the rest of the weekend has been a combination of relaxing with my parents, joking about my inferior siblings (it’s ok to say because it’s true), catching up with some of my favorite people at home, and eating more junk food than I can handle. Ohhh, and watching that little thing called the first weekend of college football season.

Yep, this trip could not be better. I’ll go into the ebbs and flows of my training later this week. For now, I’m just enjoying the last 36 hours at home before it’s back to the District and some excited weekends ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I think you need to add the Granite Man to your schedule next summer.

    ReplyDelete