Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My New Go To Run Spot

Since this week has been relatively normal – work, eat, train, sleep, repeat – I decided to document one of my favorite runs so you can see what I do each week. Ever since moving to my new place in Dupont, I’ve been exploring as much as possible to find new routes and new areas to run in but I always come back to this one for some reason. It’s my trusty 4+ mile run that takes me from the annoying street lights of the city to some top-secret hidden trails, then back again. Please excuse the hazy photos.  I blame that on the DC humidity and my sexy habit of dripping sweat as soon as I step out the door to work out. 

I start by heading away from my house towards the embassies. It’s not the most glamorous stretch of the run but there’s always a guarantee of inviting smells as I pass by the Dupont restaurants.


Then, it’s only a more open stretch of sidewalk running as I pass by countless unknown country flags and head towards to bridge. Did I mention I'm afraid of heights?




And finally, I’m out of the bustling noise of rush hour traffic as I duck into the single track paths of Rock Creek Park.


Here is where I have the most fun weaving in and out of cool trails and enjoying both some technical downhill spots and heartbeat raising uphills (OK, really there are only two baby hills but they are still hills). Below are some of my favorite parts of the run.



After a little less than a mile of that, I climb up a deceptively steep hill and hear that familiar noise of cars and people. Notice the view from the top of the hill (you can see the small single track path in the distance).


Now it's back to the mean streets of Georgetown and Dupont.  It's basically a maze of nice houses, classy establishments (picture of great wine bar), and old cemeteries (spoooooky) before crossing another bridge and making my way home.




The last things I get to see are an oddly huge buffalo and the Argentina embassy (shout out to my FAVORITE SISTER LIVING IN SAN JUAN and best friend in San Diego).



It's not the most glamorous route but it gets the job done and takes me away from the bustle of the city and into the solitary trails when I'm in need of a short and fast run. 

3 comments:

  1. you mention Argentina and give a shout out to your best friend in San Diego????!!!!! hmmph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive her, Justin ... Alyson is no longer an all-day English speaking person able to READ PLAIN ENGLISH. I clearly saw the shout out to HER but don't know what she missed ... SINCE IT WAS ALL IN CAPS. Anyway, nice images and description of one of your runs ... makes me want to be there! But I'll see you soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly a beautiful run my friend! Such great beauty in such a short distance. San Diego is waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete