Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Boston 2012

This post is long overdue. Partly because I’ve talked about this goal with a few people and partly because I promised my brother I would give him a shout out in the blog.

After much consideration, and weighing how much I absolutely despise marathon training, I’ve decided to spend my time between August 2010 and August 2011 attempting to qualify for the Boston Marathon. The reasoning is simple - I want to run the marathon when my brother is a senior at BC. Yes, it’s a race that I would probably want to do at some point in my life, but the lure of Boston is 10 times stronger when my brother is still there. What could be better than running up the infamous Heartbreak Hill and seeing your intoxicated brother and his friends screaming incoherent things at you?


Christopher, me, Jordan (left to right)

But seriously, after hearing baby bro Jordan joke about the idea months ago, I put some real thought into it. First of all, it would be a great experience and there would be no better time than when Jordan is still there to see it. Second of all, it would help me improve the worst of my three disciplines in the Ironman so that in the next couple years I could start posting some competitive age group HIM and IM finish times.

Who knows if this is even doable given my lack of running skill but based on a handy marathon pace chart, I’m currently around a 3:19 marathon (using my recent 10 mile finish time), so I’ll need to shave 10 minutes off of that within the next year and a half.

Heartbreak Hill with BC in the background

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the advance warning! You KNOW that I'll be there (as the sober one in the group), cheering you on ... and picking up your brothers. Would be great to see you qualify and I'll be happy to support you all the way! Love that active Justin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. when are you gonna give your sister a shout out? you do remember that you have a sister right.....

    ReplyDelete