Monday, April 26, 2010

"Big Day"

Now that I can finally move my fingers, I figure it’s time for a post “big day” report.

Courtesy of triathlon training expert Joe Friel, I decided to include two “big days” in my training leading up to the Ironman. The basic gist of these two days is to simulate race day and complete about two-thirds of each leg, with 90 minute breaks in between each. It gets you used to the long day of movement and helps dial in nutrition, but the breaks help with recovery so you’re not dead the next couple days. It’s the perfect way to test endurance and get mentally prepared for the race.

5:30am, alarm goes off and I hate life. Technically I should have gotten up earlier since I’ll be up around 4:00am on race day but there was no way in hell I was getting up that early yesterday. After a couple snoozes, I rolled out of bed and made sure I had everything packed for the big day ahead. Thankfully, I wasn’t heading out until 7:00 so I had plenty of time to move as slow as I wanted.

7:00am, I’m out the door headed for Annapolis. I wanted to train as closely to race conditions as possible so I joined up with a few DC Triathletes an hour away to start off my day with a very cold, open water swim. The low 60’s water temperature in Idaho is a big concern for me since everyone tells horror stories of the frigid swim, and I had zero experience training in anything sub-70 degrees. Well, not the case anymore. The water temperature yesterday was in the high 50’s and aside from the first minute where I could barely breathe, I felt comfortable and strong in my 45 minute swim.

the hot spot for open water swims

10:20am, the guys hop on our bikes for a little spin around the Annapolis area. I was surprised how good my legs felt after the swim so I knew I wanted to push it out there. The ride was over 75 miles of rolling hills and a couple flats which meant I had the opportunity to test my climbing mixed with a few tempo miles pushing 26+ mph – the perfect recipe for a tough training day. After all was said and done, my nutrition was right on point, my legs were still feeling fairly fresh, and I was surprisingly eager to hit the pavement for a run.

getting ready to head out
4:25pm, I’m out the door in DC for my 12.5 mile run. The drive back from Annapolis provided me the perfect break between the bike and run so immediately after getting home I laced up the running shoes and headed out with a couple gels and my hydration pack. The first 6-7 miles flew by. I wasn’t paying attention to my pace because I just wanted to see what my legs were capable of but when I saw 45 minutes on the watch at the halfway point, I knew I should slow it down a bit. There was absolutely no way I was clocking that same pace on the back end, especially up the hills. The last 4 or 5 miles were a challenge, to say the least. My legs were starting to feel like two lead weights and my lungs decided to shrink on me. I desperately wanted to walk the last couple uphill miles but knew that I would be thankful I didn’t when June 27th rolls around.

6:05pm, home safely. Legs felt great, lungs were mediocre, and my spirit was on cloud nine. I was happy the day was over. The only downside was the feeling immediately after getting into the house. My body went into a cold-shock and I spent 30 minutes curled up in ball with blankets draped all over me.

That was a wrap. I made it through my first long day and came out the other side feeling confident. After two dinners and minimal movement, I spent the rest of the night on a couch with friends in Georgetown, in a chair at Whole Foods, or laying on my bed at home. It was bliss.

Now, my body has fully recovered after devouring plenty of carbs and enjoy the comfort of a bed for a terrible night’s sleep and two naps.

feeling fresh after 2/3 of the day

1 comment:

  1. Proud of you and thrilled for you too ... tough day and you made it through with flying colors. Really makes me look forward to seeing you and helping you in Idaho. I am way pumped to see you succeed ... you are an inspiration to me and I've loved watching you become Active Justin. Keep up the great work. And the great blogging too!

    ReplyDelete