Thursday, July 22, 2010

Only a Few More Days Now

Boo, another recovery post.

I finally bit the bullet and got myself checked out by a medical professional. No, the foot isn’t becoming a bigger problem, it’s my super secret knee injury. I didn’t divulge the knee pain in my last post for fear of my family yelling at me to go see a doctor but after days and days of pain, I decided to bite the bullet and go.

A little background for you – I know I shouldn’t have been running as soon after the race as I did but I don’t think the knee is a result of that. Sadly, it was most likely my beloved soccer that led to my knee’s demise. So no matter what happens in the next week or so, I can rest easy that this wasn’t caused by my post Ironman recovery ignorance. It’s only my stupidity this time. And yes, I’d do it again and again and again. Come on, it was playoffs. And it was against the second best team in the league. How could I turn that down?

Anyway, back to the knee. I made a quick trip to the orthopedist and was informed that it appears I have a minor (note: slight, mild, not big deal) tear in my meniscus. Barring any unexpected playoff soccer games, the pain should go away within 2 weeks if not sooner and I should be back to running in no time. If things get worse, then it’s more complaining on this blog and a return visit for an MRI. So for your sake and mine, let’s pray it gets better.

I’m slowly losing my mind without the ability to run. I see people running during my commute to work and all I want to do is cry uncontrollably. Just last night, I saw a young couple jogging at a comfortable 8:00 pace and laughing like they had no cares in the world, and all I could do was stand there daydreaming about me and my running shoes frolicking through never-ending meadows, enjoying a Gatorade, water, and Clif bar picnic. Ahhh, the memories.

But seriously, I can’t do this recovery thing for much longer. I’m patient now and I’ll give my knee the time it needs, but once the pain is gone, I’ll be back out on the road and then the soccer field. 12 week marathon training starts August 1 and we have a soccer tournament down in Virginia Beach on August 7/8.

1 comment:

  1. You've been around knee injuries enough to know ... always get it checked! Glad you went but now stay off it, stay off it, stay off it. Who cares about the happy couple running?! You've got a long endurance career ahead of you so take it seriously. Soccer can wait.

    ReplyDelete