Thursday, March 4, 2010

Back on My Feet

Finally... the epic return to the pavement is here and it couldn’t have come at a better time. After over 10 days of taking it easy and assessing my plantar fasciitis, I’ve laced up my shoes and returned to the one part of multisport that I used to hate the most – running.

If you asked me ten days ago, I would tell you the same thing I said ten years ago. When it comes to running, I just don’t get it. If I want to shred my legs and get in shape, throw me on a soccer field, or give me a basketball or football. What’s the point of just running to run?

Well, that was ten days ago. Fast forward to today and I’m singing a much different tune. As I spent almost every day watching with envy as runners sprinted by my window and jogged on the Mall at sunset, I realized how much I miss running. Even worse, I realized how running is quickly becoming my favorite part of triathlon training. All I could think about was getting back outside and running until my legs gave out. Not to mention, I became even more motivated when I stumbled upon this amazing trail running montage that is slowly tempting me to do more trail runs and longer distances (don’t worry, not until AFTER Idaho).




There’s just something so peaceful about lacing up the running shoes, leaving the Ipod at home and forgetting the frustrations from a tough day. Not to mention the always-amazing “runner’s high” that should motivate anyone to get outside as much as possible.

So while my plantar fasciitis isn’t going away anytime soon, I’ve received enough help and advice to help me deal with it while I adjust my training accordingly. I’m sure the foot pain will be a frequent topic of conversation in the coming months but as long as it doesn’t stop me from my goal, I think I’ll be fine…. ice, tennis ball, stretch, strengthen, repeat.

With all that said, you know where you can find me over the next few days. The weather here will be over 50 degrees each day and I’ll be taking full advantage of it. Hopefully I’ll even have a few pictures to post from my 60-miler with the Swedes and a sunset run to the Mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment